We use cookies on this site to enhance your online experience. By continuing to use this site, you agree to accept cookies.



Everybody can name one the largest employers in Canada. Companies like Onex, Loblaws, Shell Canada, Air Canada, Enbridge, Royal Bank of Canada, Bell MTS and the federal and provincial governments are all large Canadian employers.

But in reality, that’s not where most of us work.

According to Statistics Canada, in Canada 38.1% of employees work for organizations with 99 or fewer employees, while 15.1% work for companies with 100 to 499 employees. Together, these SMEs (small medium enterprises) represent 53.2% of all employees in Canada.

That means if you’re working, there is a good chance you’re working for an SME.

There many advantages of working for a SME.

  • Growth potential – SMEs often have the potential to grow rapidly either by acquiring other businesses or expanding business offerings.
  • Location – SMEs are located in all areas of Canada, giving options no matter where someone wants to live.
  • Career advancement – there are often opportunities to take on more responsibilities more quickly in an SME. Similarly, individuals can gain a range of skills as they take on broad roles to support company needs.
  • Flexibility and Adaptability – companies often allow flexible work policies to meet individual needs. When circumstances change, SME organizations can react more quickly.

I can attest that for myself, the points above apply to me. I have worked at two companies which were SMEs that grew rapidly. I found professional work in a large city and a small town. I had great career advancement and was able to take on new roles every 2 or 3 years. Both companies were far more flexible than larger organizations I have worked for.

While the large organizations are well known, don't overlook great opportunities with SMEs. If you would like help to explore if SMEs are right for you, feel free to contact CareerFirsts .

Want to learn more?

Book a Meeting